Saturday, 6 July 2013

Polka Dot Cake

The Polka Dot Cake!

This is a fun cake I have wanted to make for a while, you will need a pop cake pan to make the spots.

I just made a vanilla cake batter and separated the mixture into different bowls and colored them with food coloring.
Use LOTS of food coloring because the spots will loose some color when they cook.

Make sure you grease or use non-stick spray on the top of the pop cake pan, as they tend to raise through the holes in the top and if you have greased it, they will just pull off easily.

Whilst your colored balls are cooling, make up a cake batter, I used Vanilla cake.
  • 80g butter, at room temperature, cubed
  • 80g (1/3 cup) caster sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
  • 1 egg, lightly whisked
  • 115g (3/4 cup) self-raising flour, sifted
  • 60ml (1/4 cup) milk


Beat the butter, sugar, vanilla until it's light and fluffy, then add the egg.
Fold through the flour alternatively with milk.
Remember to always start with the flour and end with the flour.







Here is the fun part. Put a little cake batter into the bottom of your cake tin. Then spread the little colored balls around in the pan.

When they are in place, pour the remainder of your cake batter over the top.
Pop it into the oven until cooked, this is quite a large cake! So it takes about 40 minutes in a moderate oven.

After the cake had cooled, I was really anxious to see if it turned out, so I cut it, dusted with icing sugar and piped on a little icing. I realise now it would look better if there was 2 cakes that was sandwiched together with cream, doing that would give many more color variations, too late now though because I cut mine!





 

No comments:

Post a Comment