Friday, 5 July 2013

Hamburger cakes

The Hamburger Cake & The Steak Sandwich! 


I love to try out new recipe's and new idea's. It's fun to make things out of cake.

My husband and I loved to watch Man Vs Food and in one of the episodes there was this GIANT Hamburger,  we watched enthralled  as the host of the show tucks into this gorgeous looking burger that is wider than a family sized pizza and much taller than any mouth could get around.

My DH declared his undying love for that hamburger and said he'd love to have one just like it for his birthday. So, instead of making him the actual burger, I made him a cake, a hamburger cake with fries on the side.

I was really pleased with the result, it looks quite real!

The "Bun" is just 2 large sponge cakes, the "meat" is a chocolate iced chocolate cake.

The lettuce is leaves I made out of fondant. The "Cheese" is melted down apricot delights that I then rolled out and cut into triangles.
The "Tomato" is the same, only Strawberry delights that I melted, rolled out and cut carefully with a sharp knife the shape of the inside of a tomato. The Mayo is just white icing, the sauce on both the cake and the chips (Fries) is just stewed berry's, strained and mixed with a little icing sugar for texture. My DH is a Fire Fighter and that is why the candles and fondant fire hats and hoses are also on the burger cake.

When it was my FIL's birthday, I made him a "Steak Sandwich Cake"  - it's all quite similar to the burger cake but on a smaller scale. One of the main differences is that the 'steak' in the steak sandwich cake is actually carrot cake, not chocolate. I sliced the carrot cake thinly and placed it on the sponge cake like a finely cut steak would be.

I also carefully cut the top off the sponge cake and left the sides to give it a look like 'crusts' and I think it worked quite well.

I love cake :) I love to make cake and other yummy things. It is my 'relax' time. My Grandmother was the best cook and it was such a privilege to have had her teach me. I had cooked with my Grandmother since I was a really small child, and she always let me lick the beaters. I had a turbulent and troubled childhood, but when I was with her I always felt safe and like everything was OK.
Cooking with her was soothing. When I close my eyes, I don't have to try too hard to remember the wonderful smells that came from her kitchen. The comforting warmth of the oven and the whir of the beaters. Those days are always with me.

Food can mean so many things, a coming together, an expression of love and of giving, sharing, comfort. 



Click HERE to like us on Facebook!






Add Me for free search submissions

No comments:

Post a Comment